We know this content can’t get made without money… but how do we balance the content creation with the fundraising and what is our long term goal for Appian Media? We also share tips about how we were able to raise the funds for Following the Messiah & Searching for a King.
00:30 – Show Open
- Welcome to Inroads, where we talk about the WHY of Appian Media and HOW you can use the technology of today to spread the timeless message of the Bible. Learn more about us and watch our free video series at www.appianmedia.org
1:00 – Introductions
2:00 – We didn’t start Appian Media with the goal to always be fundraising…. How did the crowdsourcing model work for us the first few years and what are we transitioning to now?
- One of the skill sets that I was able to bring to Appian Media was experience with creating content for and managing crowdfunding campaigns (specifically Kickstarter). Some successful, some not. I had learned what worked and what didn’t.
- We had no roadmap to follow, no one was doing exactly what we were doing. It involved a LOT of research, prayer, and incredibly generous people!
5:00 – Talk about sustainability. What does that look like for AM’s future growth?
- Our fundraising track record has been humbling. I am blown away every year that we’ve been able to not only meet, but exceed, the goals that we have set. And yet, it is like a roller coaster…and not the fun kind. We ask for a large amount, people support us in extraordinary fashion, we met our goals, and the funding stops, until we start the process all over again.
- Year after year, we don’t know whether we’ll actually be creating new content until our large spring fundraiser has run its course…and that’s nerve wrecking.
- Sustainability will be when we have enough recurring monthly donors that our team can focus on creating and crafting this content without having to skip a beat and press pause on our goals in order to raise the necessary funds to keep moving forward.
7:00 – Why build a community?
- Because work like this is not going to be accomplished through the efforts of a few. It puts less emphasis on finding those donors that may give us tens of thousands of dollars (we certainly don’t mind those kinds of donors by any means), but by finding the many donors that may only be able to do a little.
- Borrow an analogy from the Director of “The Chosen,” Jesus was able to feed 5,000 with only 5 loaves and 2 fish. All we need to do is bring what we are able, and sometimes, it won’t seem like a lot, but God will give the increase!
- This is the kind of work that people can get behind.
10:00 – Talk about content creation vs. fundraising…
- I regularly say that this is the least favorite part of what I do: asking for money. I would rather be out there creating than trying to figure out where we’re going to find the means to do the creating.
- But I don’t want to begrudge the process, but I’ve come to realize that by asking…we are giving so many people the opportunity to serve, and support, and help, and they regularly thank us for that!
THE IN-ROADS PODCAST IS SPONSORED BY CONTAINER SOLUTIONS INC. C-S-I MAKES CUSTOM ENGINEERED PACKAGING SOLUTIONS FOR BIG AND AND SMALL INDUSTRIES RANGING FROM MANUFACTURING AND AUTOMOTIVE TO MILITARY USE. FOAM… PLASTIC… STEEL… YOU NAME IT AND THEY CAN MAKE PACKAGING… FOR YOUR PRODUCT… OUT OF JUST ABOUT ANY MATERIAL.
C-S-I IS A PROUD SPONSOR OF THE IN-ROADS PODCAST AND APPIAN MEDIA AND WE’RE THRILLED TO WORK WITH THEM! YOU CAN LEARN MORE ABOUT WHAT THEY DO ON THEIR WEBSITE… CONTAINERSOLUTIONSINC.COM. YOU CAN ALSO FIND MORE INFORMATION ABOUT OUR SPONSORS IN THIS EPISODE’S SHOW NOTES.
20:00 – How can listeners of the inRoads podcast help make Appian Media sustainable for the future?
- Become a member: budget whatever amount they are able and commit that as a tax-deductible donation every month. You’ll not only ensure that we are able to continue to create free compelling Bible media to people all over the world, but as a member, you’ll get exclusive access to additional resources and material.
- Watch the videos, listen to the podcast and tell others about it!
- Purchase a BluRay, DVD, or Thumbdrive to share with your neighbors. These are being used as really effective evangelistic tools – which we’ll discuss more in an upcoming episode!
25:00 – Wrap up/ Tease next show
CTA: inRoads is a production of Appian Media… we’re a non-profit video production company that is 100% crowdfunded. If you’re interested in learning more about how you can support Appian Media so we can continue to create more great… FREE content visit us at appianmedia.org/inRoads