Podcast: Digging Deeper
Title: The Cove of the Sower
00:10 – Episode Summary: BARRY
- Ever wondered how thousands of people could hear Jesus teach? Today on the podcast we’ll visit a location on the shore of the Sea of Galilee where Jesus taught one of his most well known parables… and we’ll conduct a really cool audio experiment!
00:30 – Show Open BARRY
- Welcome to Digging Deeper, the podcast where we talk about the geography, archaeology, people, and cultures of the lands of the Bible. By exploring those areas, we hope to broaden your understanding of the Biblical narrative. You can learn more about all of us here at Appian Media and watch our free video series at www.appianmedia.org.
Before we start today, we want to talk about our sponsor, Memo Marketing. Recently, Appian Media has teamed with Memo Marketing to update our website as well as provide a number of other marketing ideas for helping us promote the work that we are doing. We are happy to have them onboard and will say more about them later in the program.
1:00 – Introductions
- Barry – Meteorologist/Software Developer who loves to travel.
- Dan – Medical doctor who specializes in Hematology/Medical Oncology/Palliative Medicine who is passionate about the lands of the Bible.
2:00 – Tell the story of how Dan and Barry met…
- We knew of each other, but didn’t really know each other well until about 6-7 years ago.
- I primarily have lived in North Alabama, but Dan has lived in a number of different places.
- When we both lived in North Alabama, we would meet at a local BBQ place to discuss Israel.
- We’ve been fortunate to work together with Appian Media as well as other ventures.
5:00 – Explain the purpose of the Digging Deeper podcast.
- Talk about the importance of understanding the land and the locations where these Biblical events took place.
6:00 – Today’s Location: The Cove of the Sower
- What is the ‘Cove of the Sower’?
- Where is it located?
- Why is it called that? Matthew 13:1-9.
10:00 – Our visit to the Cove of the Sower
- When we were filming “Following the Messiah”, we had an episode (Episode 7) which dealt with the teachings of Jesus. We felt that this would be a good place to visit.
- Very close to Highway 87 on the northern side of the lake, but difficult to get to.
- Had seen a gate, but it was locked. Picked up and taken to Capernaum.
- Began hike to location. We were in two different groups, and we took different paths to get there.
- Once we were there, we were able to conduct an audio experiment. And, we recorded it for Episode 7. We will play that clip right after our break.
14:00 – Advertisement for Memo Marketing.
- Barry: WE WANT TO TAKE A QUICK BREAK AND TELL YOU ABOUT OUR SPONSOR… MEMO MARKETING. THEY ARE A FULL SERVICE MARKETING COMPANY THAT SPECIALIZES IN WEB DESIGN… STRATEGIC MARKETING… SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGEMENT… THEY BUILD APPS AND DO A LOT MORE.
- IN FACT… APPIAN MEDIA HAS WORKED CLOSELY WITH MEMO MARKETING ON THE REDESIGN AND RELAUNCH OF OUR WEBSITE AND THEY HAVE BEEN INTEGRAL IN HELPING TO CREATE OUR NEW MEMBERSHIP MODEL.
- Dan: YEAH… WE’VE COMPLETELY TRANSFORMED THE WAY WE LOOK AT FUNDRAISING AND IT’S HELPED MAKE APPIAN MEDIA MORE SUSTAINABLE.
- Barry: IF YOUR COMPANY IS LOOKING FOR STRATEGIC MARKETING TO GROW YO4rUR BUSINESS… CHECKOUT MEMO MARKETING. YOU CAN LEARN MORE AT MEMO-MARKETING-GROUP-DOT-COM… THAT’S MEMO-MARKETING-GROUP-DOT-COM.
And now…back to the show.
15:00 – Play the “Cove of the Sower” clip
- Ask Craig to play the “Cove of the Sower” clip and encourage everyone to listen as Jeremy begins reading from Matthew 13. (Perhaps add a phrase or two in the video to assist podcast listeners of what is happening in the video. Ex: “Barry is now walking up the hill to get in position to hear Jeremy.”)
19:00 – Reaction to clip.
- Barry’s reaction is recorded, so we know that he was thinking.
- Where was Dan during this recording? What was he thinking?
Hard stop….perhaps a musical transition.
21:00 – Final Thought – BARRY
- So, what lesson can we learn from the Cove of the Sower? Every time that I am over in Israel, and drive by that location, I try to imagine what the scene would have looked like from Matthew 13. You know, there is Jesus, just offshore in Peter’s fishing boat teaching up to this large crowd that was gathered all around him.
- And when I see him in my mind’s eye, I’m reminded about the fact that Jesus never missed an opportunity to talk to people about God. It didn’t matter if he was walking through the streets of Jerusalem, traveling across the Jezreel Valley, or walking along the shore of the Sea of Galilee. Of course, the reason that he never missed an opportunity was because he was looking for those opportunities.
- So, here’s the question for all of us: Are we looking for opportunities to talk to people about God? I’m convinced the opportunities are all around us. But, if you are like me, we are often so busy with the different aspects of life that we completely miss them.
- Let’s all take a lesson from our visit to the Cove of the Sower. Let’s look for opportunities to talk to others about God. Then, let’s do whatever we need to do…even if we have to step out into a boat…to make sure that everyone can hear us.
Hard stop….a second of silence, then start end music.
24:00 – Wrap up/ Tease next show – DAN
- Digging Deeper is a production of Appian Media… we’re a non-profit media production company that is 100% crowdfunded. If you’re interested in learning more about how you can support Appian Media so we can continue to create more great… FREE content visit us at appianmedia.org/DiggingDeeper.
- If you would like to reach out to us, you can reach us at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to hear from you and answer any questions that you might have.
- Barry and I are in front of the microphones, but it takes much more to produce this podcast. So, a special thanks to Craig, Stuart, Jet and the rest of the Appian Media team who are all doing their part.
- Join us next time as we invite Ralph Walker, a friend of ours from Tampa, Florida, into the studio. We had the chance to talk with him when we were in Israel last July and we would like to share part of that discussion with you.
- Until then, thank you joining us and we look forward to being with you on the next episode of Digging Deeper.