Podcast: Digging Deeper
Title: Never Stop Learning
00:10 – Episode Summary: DAN
- He’s a gospel preacher and has been a student of the Bible for decades… and we were there when he visited Israel… for the first time. Today on the podcast we hear from Ralph Walker as he shares some observations from the Bible lands.
00:30 – Show Open – DAN
- Welcome to Digging Deeper, the podcast where we talk about the geography, archaeology, people, and cultures of the lands of the Bible. By exploring those areas, we hope to broaden your understanding of the Biblical narrative. You can learn more about all of us here at Appian Media and watch our free video series at www.appianmedia.org.
- Before we start today, we want to talk about our sponsor, Memo Marketing. Recently, Appian Media has teamed with Memo Marketing to update our website as well as provide a number of other marketing ideas for helping us promote the work that we are doing. We are happy to have them onboard and will say more about them later in the program.
1:00 – The joy of teaching others about the land.
- Discuss how much enjoyment we get out of teaching others about the lands of the Bible.
- That is even better when we are able to travel with people over there. Barry can discuss how he got started leading tours.
- Introduce Ralph and tell something about him.
- We had the pleasure of traveling with Ralph to Israel in the summer of 2019. Give a little bit of background about Ralph.
- While we were in Jerusalem, we asked Ralph a number of questions, but we want to deal with two of them today.
5:00 – Question #1: What impressed him most about the land?
- Ask Craig to play Ralph’s audio about the necessity of water in the land of Israel.
9:00 – Discuss the importance of what Ralph said about water.
- Brief discussion of how the rain falls during the year. (NOTE: Do not dwell too long on this topic as it will be discussed in much more detail in a later episode.)
- But, the truth is that by the end of May, you have received all of the rain that you are going to receive for the next 5-6 months.
- Water was very important.
- Abraham’s flocks vs Lot’s flocks.
- Abraham vs. Abimelek and wells ending at Beersheba
- Isaac vs. Abimelek and wells ending at Beersheba
- David Hiding at EnGedi
- Jehoshaphat vs Moabites/Ammonites/Meunites camped at EnGedi
- Hezekiah’s Tunnel
- To water Decapolis (Gadara), Romans brought water from Syria (modern Dille), Total 140 km (87 miles) 64 surface km (40 mile), then 3 tunnels 1 (.6 mile), 11 (6.8 mile), and 64 km (40 mile). Dug 120 years (90-210 AD)
- Talk about cisterns. What is a cistern and how was it used? How big were they?
14:00 – Advertisement for Memo Marketing
- Dan: IS YOUR BUSINESS IN NEED OF A WEBSITE REDESIGN… OR A BRAND NEW WEBSITE ALL TOGETHER? WE WANT TO TAKE A SECOND TO TELL YOU ABOUT OUR SPONSOR FOR THE DIGGING DEEPER PODCAST. MEMO MARKETING. THEY ARE A FULL SERVICE MARKETING COMPANY THAT CAN TAKE CARE OF ALL YOUR COMPANY’S MARKETING NEEDS… INCLUDING WEBSITES.
- Barry: APPIAN MEDIA USED MEMO MARKETING FOR OUR WEBSITE AND THE PROCESS COULDN’T HAVE BEEN BETTER! WE NEEDED A VERY COMPLEX WEBSITE WITH VIDEO PLUG-INS AND AN E-COMMERCE PLATFORM… AND A WHOLE LOT OF OTHER COMPONENTS. THEY WERE AWESOME TO WORK WITH. WE HAD MEETINGS TO DISCUSS DESIGN AND FUNCTIONALITY AND THEY TRULY HELPED GUIDE OUR WEBSITE NEEDS… INSTEAD OF TRYING TO SELL US ON EVERY BELL AND WHISTLE.
- Dan: I’M VERY HAPPY WITH OUR WEBSITE… IT’S SUCH A GREAT RESOURCE FOR BIBLE STUDY! ! IT WORKS JUST AS WELL ON MY IPHONE AS IT DOES MY LAPTOP. IF YOUR COMPANY IS LOOKING FOR A NEW WEBSITE… CHECKOUT MEMO MARKETING. YOU CAN LEARN MORE AT MEMO-MARKETING-GROUP-DOT-COM… THAT’S MEMO-MARKETING-GROUP-DOT-COM.
And now, back the the show.
15:00 – Question #2: Having been over here, what will you try to impress upon people in your classes about the land.
- Ask Craig to play Ralph’s answer about how every single word in the Bible matters.
16:00 – Discuss the importance of what Ralph said about “every single word in the Bible matters”.
- “Down to Capernaum”
- “Up to Jerusalem”
- “Down to Caesarea”
- “Up to the Temple”
- Marathon winner: Did not know that Jerusalem was so hilly.
20:00 – Final Thought – DAN
- Traveling with someone to Israel is a very interesting experience. Especially if that person has been a student of the Bible for a long time. Traveling with Ralph was just such an experience. We both have known Ralph for many years. He has a love of God’s Word that is extremely strong. But, in addition to that, Ralph has a love of people. And he has a desire to teach people about God. The trip he took was not a vacation, but a fact finding mission to add further knowledge into his database, to broaden his understanding of the Biblical text.
- Some people might look at learning and assume after so long, you can stop- you have arrived. Using that opinion, you would state that as long as Ralph has been studying the Bible, He can stop studying. I feel that anyone can read the Bible and learn about God and salvation easily. It is not hard or secretive. But to fully know the Bible, to see its multi-layered connections and themes and to see the beauty and intricacies of the text can take and should take a lifetime of study. Most of us don’t live in the lands of the Bible, speak those languages and none of us live in that culture and time period. To appreciate and understand takes time and effort- whether through study or trips. That is one of the goals of Appian Media- to help people better understand the lands of the Bible and the details of what they read. I tell people it is to give color to the black and white you read.
- Now, can you be a good Christian, can you go to heaven without knowing more about the land and culture of the first century, without a trip to the lands you read about? Absolutely! Will it help you appreciate the Bible narrative better if you have more knowledge? Absolutely.
- On our trip Ralph was constantly asking questions, and he is a life long learner. Even the apostle Paul was constantly learning. At the end of his life, in 2 Timothy 4:13 he asked for the parchments to be brought to him. If anyone could be accused of arriving and not needing to study, it would have been Paul, but he was still desiring to study.
- We need to look to the fact Ralph never stopping learning and we shouldn’t either.
Hard stop….a second of silence, then start end music.
22:00 – Wrap up/ Tease next show – BARRY
- Digging Deeper is a production of Appian Media… we’re a non-profit media production company that is 100% crowdfunded. If you’re interested in learning more about how you can support Appian Media so we can continue to create more great… FREE content visit us at appianmedia.org/DiggingDeeper.
- If you would like to reach out to us, you can reach Dan at email@example.com and you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to hear from you and answer any questions that you might have.
- Dan and I are in front of the microphones, but it takes much more to produce this podcast. So, a special thanks to Craig, Stuart, Jet and the rest of the Appian Media team who are all doing their part to make this a success.
- Join us next time as I corner Dan and his vast medical background and we talk about medical topics that we can find in Scripture. In all honesty, I’m really looking forward to it.
- Until then, thank you joining us and we look forward to being with you on the next episode of Digging Deeper.